Sunday, October 13, 2013

Side Effects Include...

Tonight I am going to elaborate on a few of the side effects that I have experienced during my first four days on Belviq. I am also going to try to write down all of the things I am eating or craving (riveting stuff, I know). So here goes the aforementioned side effects:

1. Euphoria/Stress Reduction- This might be even better than the weight loss. I am the type of person who gets stressed out over minor things...things that aren't very important. For instance, the kids leave clothes, food and toys out constantly, no matter how many consequences or rewards I give them. I know this is normal behavior for many children, but I get really worked up and bent out of shape about it. I have noticed that while on Belviq, I feel like I can "let it go." Like its not that big of a problem and I can look past the mess. This is totally not normal for me. Another thing is that I am compulsively early to EVERYTHING. Not just a couple of minutes either...we're talking 30. I have such extreme anxiety about where I am going to sit at church or making sure I get the best seat or parking spot, totally lame. The last four days I have been the proverbial honey badger when it comes to being early. I showed up at the homeschool play date 45 minutes late. I dropped the kids of at their bible study late because I didn't feel ready to leave yet ( Ok I was 3 minutes late, but for me that's a big deal). Belviq seems to have taken away a burden that I've carried for so many years. I also walk around with a smile on my face! I have a really bad case of "resting bitch face," so when I'm smiling, I don't scare small children, ha! :) I am assuming all of this has to do with the increased serotonin levels I am getting from the pills, but you won't see me complaining! 

2. Cravings- I can definitely see my food obsession/cravings drop off quite a bit. I had gotten to the point where I don't even realize that I'd eaten something because I do it so mindlessly. The tendency to just pop a cookie or a few chips in my mouth and not even register what I've done, is gone. Now I feel more accountable for what I eat and I'm craving healthy food. I open the fridge and look past my husbands sweets and grab the grapes. A cookie just doesn't appeal to me anymore...Its not gross or anything, but I feel like I have the willpower to say no. Belviq gives me the strength to look past the food addiction. Also, if my feelings are hurt or I am upset about something, I can deal with it in more productive ways than eating.

I will post more about side effects soon. In the meantime, here is my food intake for today.

  • Banana and two cups of coffee with sugar-free creamer for breakfast.
  • Handful of grapes and 90 calorie pumpkin pie flavored yogurt for snack (this flavor is so gross, save yourself the money).
  • Half a stick of celery with tablespoon of organic peanut butter plus a 90 calorie string cheese for lunch.
  • Half a cup of vegetarian chili for dinner.

I am guessing that this is around 1000 calories. I do not like to eat large meals, because it makes me sleepy and lazy so I typically graze on small stuff during the day. I guess my new outlook on food is working because I've lost 5 lbs in four days.


XOXO
GB

1 comment: